Strategic Action Plan
The Las Cruces City Council has adopted a new, five-year Strategic Plan for the period 2017 through 2022. The Strategic Plan is a long-term planning tool to assist City Council, administration and staff identify community priorities and budget accordingly.
The Strategic Plan consists of 20 priorities organized under four themes:
- Capital Improvements and Infrastructure
- Communication, Involvement and Follow-Up
- Economic and Community Development
One key component in the Strategic Plan list of 20 priorities is greater community engagement involving members of City Council through the creation of policy review committees to be comprised of council members, City staff and members of the community. According to the Strategic Plan, “Council members will work with the community to explore, discover, and discern the policy direction in key areas, such as:
- Capital improvement program
- Economic development
- Public safety
- Quality of life
Other priorities include:
- Apprenticeships and mentorship programs
- Conducting City Council work sessions at various locations throughout the community
- Establishing a citizen’s academy
- Holding City- sponsored events downtown.
- Offering internships
- Performance-based budgeting and reporting
- Providing downtown guests access to restaurants, taverns, music and art
- Streamlining the business permitting process
City Council and staff developed the Strategic Plan at a strategic planning retreat held May 3 and 4.
In addition to adopting the Strategic Plan, City Council approved a new mission statement in English and Spanish:
The Mission of the City of Las Cruces is to provide customer-focused municipal services to residents, businesses, and guests so they can experience a “quality of place” to live, work and play.
La Misión de la Ciudad de Las Cruces es proveer servicios municipales enfocados al cliente a residentes, negocios e invitados para que puedan experimentar una 'calidad de lugar' para vivir, trabajar y jug.